Za'atar salad, and Red berry ginger ice tea


           Hi everyone, I hope everyone’s weekend was full of adventure. My weekend was pretty layback because I was working all weekend long. Having two jobs does not allow me to enjoy my summer at all. I was supposed to go to the Ottawa VEG/YOGA FEST on Sunday, but I slept in because I stayed up late the before as a result of the heat, and itchy body from the heat. Regardless it was an okay weekend. On the bright side the bag that I bought online arrived today; so that made up for the boring weekend

Despite my weekend being okay, I am hoping the week goes better. I am expecting a hopefully a call back from a job interview I had with my school last Monday, crossing fingers that they call me back. So, of all of the days I decided to cook, today was the lucky day; I don’t know what I was thinking because it’s extremely hot here in Ottawa today with humidity level of 60%, it’s 28 but feels like 38c. Even so, the heat could not hold me back from trying probably one of my favorite dishes of the summer. This was not something I came up with, but barrowed from Green kitchen stories. As always, I did some modification to the recipes. I think people might find it less demanding, and exhausting especially if you are cooking on of those days when the heat is just out of the world. 




INGREDIENTS 
    1 Eggplant
    1 avocado
    2 Tomato/red and yellow
    1 cup of Raw chickpea/or canned
    1 cup of wheat berries
    Olive oil 
    1 tbsp. Cumin
    4 tbsp. of za’atar spice blend
    1 cup of feta cheese (crumbled)

    Drink: Red Berry ice tea
    3-4 Red Berry tea bags
    ½ blood orange
    ½ ginger roots
    3 tbsp. of natural honey

INSTRUCTIONS 
    Wash and resin both wheat berries, and chickpeas-separately. Place each in a bowl and let dry.
    In a large boiling pot add the chickpeas, and another pot add the berries. Let each cook till tender, or the way you prefer to each your chickpeas. Once cooked resins, and drain again and let them sit to cool off. Once cooled off mix the berries with the chickpeas.
    While the chickpeas, and berries cook; slice the eggplants, without peeling the skin. Wash and resin and let it dry.
    In a baking pan; cover with foil rap, drizzle some olive oil, and add the eggplants. Add some salt, and Za’atar spices, and drizzle some more olive oil on top of the eggplant. Pre-heat oven to 200°C / 400°F, and place the eggplants. Let it bake till golden brown, and tender.
    In a large bowl slice and dice your tomatoes, and avocado. Spice with the Za’atar spice, cumin, salt, and drizzle some olive oil. Add the eggplants, and the chickpeas and berries. Mix everything top with little of za’atar spice, cumin, and salt once more. Serve with feta cheese crumbled
Makes 3-4 serving. 

INSTRUCTIONS 
·       In a large bowl or canter add 1 cup of hot boiling water. Place the tea bags, and let it sit for about half of an hour. Once it had absorbed the tea, take the tea bags out and place the tea in the refrigerator. Let it sit for about 10-15 minutes.
·       Slice the ginger, and orange.
·       In a blender pour the berry tea, from the refrigerator; add the ginger, orange and 1 tbsp. of honey. Blend everything, till you get the right level of smoothness. Serve cold with ice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 3: Tofu Burrito

Sunday Challenge Pose: Grasshopper

Rolled Oat with Almond Butter