Vegan French Toast



I’ve recently had a conversation with a friend, which then turned into a conversation about breakfast, I don't know how, but  reflecting on the conversation later I realize how dull my daily breakfast is. When I find something I like I tend to stick with it, hence my breakfasts have been very simple and I’ve been having the same things for the last years without ever changing it. The usual breakfasts are, yogurt with different topping such as, granola, fruits, and chia seeds sided with a green smoothie, and tea or lemon or water. My other go to breakfast is simple oatmeal; I can eat oatmeal for the rest of my life and be completely content. But then again I am creature of habit, I have strict routine that I follow and have difficulty with challenging them. Following my conversation with my friend I thought perhaps I should change things up a little and try something new. So today I’ve decided to make my favourite breakfast, which I haven’t had in years now, French toast. As I am trying to keep everything that I eat dairy free as much as possible I’ve decided to make my own variation of the classical French toast by making vegan.





This recipe is a very simple and healthy that doesn't take a lot of time, with little cinnamon and vanilla, topped with my favourite fruits and maple syrup. As a substitute for eggs I’ve used flaxseeds, which is a great substitution for eggs and has similar nutrition value. Above all, it's a great source of protein and with just 37 calories - (How to make Flax eggs). I like making my breakfast as a technology free zone, or more correctly social media free zone. So, instead of checking up on social media (twitter, Facebook, instagram, etc..) I like reading my favourite magazine, or a book. This month on the reading list is Kinfolk Issue Eighteen: The Design Issue and the Development as Freedom by Amartya Sen. On the days I don't have the time to read I like listening to either my favourite podcast or radio, yes the radio I know.




Ingredient:

  • 4 slices day seedy kamut bread or ciabatta bread 
  • 1 cup Almond milk (Silk Almond Milk)
  • 1-tablespoon maple syrup, plus more for serving 
  • 2- tablespoon whole-wheat flour 
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon 
  • ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg 
  • 2 tablespoon vanilla 
  • 2 tablespoon flax seeds (ground raw flaxseeds)
  • 2 1/3 tablespoon water 
  • Pinch of salt

Topping: 

  • Maple Syrup 
  • Chia Seeds
  • Fresh fruits (banana, kiwi)



Instructions: 

  1. In a small mixing bowl whisk together flaxseeds meal and water. Set it aside for 5-10 minutes to thicken. 
  2. In a shallow dish mix the almond milk, flaxseeds eggs, vanilla, maple syrup, flour and nutmeg. 
  3. Place the break in a shallow dish, makes sure that it holds the entire bread. Pour the mixture over the break, and then flip the break over to make sure both sides are evenly coated.
  4. Using a large skillet, drizzle coconut oil over medium heat. Add the bread slices and cook for few minutes per side until golden brown on both sides
  5. Top with desired toppings; I went with banana, kiwi, chia seeds and maple syrup

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 3: Tofu Burrito

Sunday Challenge Pose: Grasshopper

Rolled Oat with Almond Butter